As a Victoria’s Secret Angel and model, Candice Swanepoel is accustomed to being bikini-ready at a moment’s notice – rather unlike the scramble to book pedicure appointments, apply fake tan and regret not doing more exercise experienced by the British as soon as the sun shows its face. For that very reason, we asked the long-limbed, glowing-skinned South African to share her advice for being prepared for summer sunshine – and making the most of it while it’s here.
1. Sun protection is really important for me. My face really burns and it’s not cute! My facialist gives me a really strong sunscreen, and I wear that every day, whether it’s sunny or not.
2. I leave a vanity bag always packed with my favourite stuff so it’s ready to go when I travel. I have my products that I always need: my face wash, toner, moisturiser, sunscreen and body oil – I love Bio Oil.
3. Because I’m in the ocean all the time, I use a lot of different oils and conditioning creams on my hair. In Brazil it’s very normal to take products and your brush to the beach, people dye their hair… so I take all of my conditioning treatments to the beach when I’m there.
4. When I’m on holiday, I try to take a break from make-up. If we have a night out, or go and see a band or something, I’ll do some blush and mascara – but I try to keep it really minimal.
5. Squats are the key! It’s definitely squats! They work for me if I’ve been on holiday and I feel like I haven’t done enough exercise. Even 10 make me feel better. You know what’s good – if you squat and when you come back up, you squeeze really hard. That works.